Friday, September 12, 2014

With Some Spare Time and Spare Change


Just a very quick post for me this morning. (No, really. It's quick.) I've been busy and distracted this week not accomplishing anything and I need to get back to that fruitless endeavor and not accomplish even more.

I did take a few minutes out of my very busy schedule to swing by the thrift store to see what I could see, and today's yakabout is all I have to show for it.

I found this. 



I was pretty excited about it, too. I mean, really... for a quarter? I couldn't believe that no one had snapped it up for a lousy quarter. Clearly, the orphaned bun foot was meant for me. I brought it home and showed it ever so proudly to the bread winner.

He said,  "What did you get that for?"
And I said, "For a quarter."

Yes, I knew what he meant. I just like to mess with him that way. The man has absolutely no vision. He thinks an old, orphaned, bun foot is just an, old, orphaned bun foot.

Men.

A little orange paint and a white wash, 
and we have a perfectly good pumpkin.




I feel the irresistible urge to say,
bippity, boppity, boo.


Then I stuck a cork in it.



And added a little green burlap for leaves.



I actually have no idea whether pumpkins have leaves, but when you've got an orphaned bun foot pumpkin with a cork for a stem, you can jolly well add some burlap leaves if you have a mind to.


I had a mind to.



Here she is now, all dressed for the Fall Ball. 

 Now, where I'll actually put it, I have no clue. If I had four of them, I'd use them on my table, but there is only one.

So what did I make it for?

For a quarter.

Try to keep up, folks.




By the way...

Don't you think these old finials look like a couple of acorns?


Yeah, I think so too. 


27 comments:

Janet Martin said...

amazing. really. and thank-you for the laughter. Your posts always brighten my day!!!

Sue said...

Hilarious and pretty darn cute too!

Debbie said...

Soo amusing as always...and it's darling!

Ann said...

I never would have looked at that bun foot and thought "pumpkin."

I am so very glad that you did, though! So cute! And yes, pumpkin vines do have leaves. :)

All for a quarter! LOVE!

Elizabeth Dianne said...

love it! very, very clever--

Denise at Forest Manor said...

Oh Debbie, this is so funny; I love your sense of humor. :) As soon as I saw that orphaned bun foot on the plate, I thought "Pumpkin." However, I'm not sure I would have seen that at the store -- that was VERY clever of you! I love how it turned out, and yes the old finials do look like acorns!!

I sent you an e-mail this morning; I hope you got it, my friend. :) Have a good Friday!

Hugs,

Denise

Chatty Crone said...

You are a HOOT! Love what you did with it - you are so creative.

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

Pumpkin is genius! and for sure... the finials are acorns!

Re-purposing at it's best.

My quarter's worth of praise...

Red Couch Recipes said...

You are a visionary. I would have never thunk of it as a potential pumpkin. So clever and cute. Joni

Sharon said...

Vintage Debbie. Wildly creative, smartly frugal, and oh-so-funny!! That is like the cutest pumpkin I have seen in a long time. What a transformation! And yes, I see acorns...is that how you're going to re-work those?

Your repartee with the breadwinner reminds me a lot of the way that Hubby and I interact when we go to antique stores. When I discover a *treasure* he always asks me where I'm going to put it. (Silly man). I usually respond, "We'll figure that out later!"

Love this post...

Lorrie said...

I'm laughing all the way to the bank on this one.

Denise said...

As soon as I saw the lone bun foot I thought pumpkin! Not sure I would have in the store though. The burlap leaves are the perfect compliment. Absolutely adorable. I do believe those finials would make great acorns. Did you have those or were they another quarter or two? Such a creative eye you have there baby sister. Love it.

Sooner Laura said...

That is so cute and creative! I love it. I brought home some owls last week. My husband said, "what are you going to do with owls?" there's just no explaining these things to them. Doesn't he know it's time for me to put away the seashells and put out the pumpkins.....and the owls?

Lynn said...

We were on the same page right from the beginning! Cute pumpkin and the acorns are going to look great too-have fun:@)

Sharlotte said...

I was wondering what you were going to do with that single foot! I see, I see...yep, it's a pumpkin. Super cute. What are to you going to do with the acorns?

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

You're such a clever girl, Debbie! Your bun foot turned into a pumpkin is just adorable! Yes,the finials do look like acorns. I see another project in the making.
Happy weekend to you!

Tanna said...

I have to admit, I didn't see it either until you made it!!! LOL! You are so creative. It made a WONDERFUL pumpkin... special in its uniqueness. Now, that you mentioned it... I CAN see those acorns! Enjoy! blessings ~ tanna

Anonymous said...

Absolutely one of my favorite projects of your handy hands! I don't know what makes me giddier the cost or the new found use of an orphan bun foot:-)

Candace

Sue said...

YOU GO GIRL!! I love what you did with this! Just beautiful, and yes the old finials do look like acorns!
I apologize for not being around this summer, it has been a very busy summer for us, with a lot of changes going on, my computer almost forgot me.~smile~
Enjoy your weekend,
hugs,
Sue

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

I love your random postings and I laughed out loud. I think you may be on to something, turning orphaned wood pieces into pumpkins and such, like a fairy godmother. And I love, love the finished product.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

So funny...the first thing I said to myself is that looks like pumpkin! That turned out super cute Debbie and yes those finials look like acorns!

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Your creative juices are flowing and this is by far a Pinterest worthy post. Fun, fun, fun!!!

Deborah Montgomery said...

you are a true visionary! I don't think I would have seen a pumpkin there. Genius! and I def think you should go for the acorns!

Ida said...

Well you are just the "cleverest" person here with this adorable pumpkin. Who would have thought that would become a pumpkin but yes indeed it is and so cute. I do see those acorns now!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

You are funny and brilliant! That pumpkin is adorable, and using the bun foot is so smart. Yes, those finials do look like acorns. I can't believe you bought that pumpkin to be for a quarter! laurie

Babs said...

OMGosh, you're so creative! But then, I knew that. LOVE the pumpkin, and yes, the finials look like acorns. Waiting to see how you gussy them up. :)

Kathleen said...

Amazing! What a good eye, you have! And yes, def acorns. Can't wait to see what you do!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails